50sumtin...very sad news to report

Discuss Geocaching and related topics here.

50sumtin...very sad news to report

Postby Touchstone » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:44 pm

I got off the phone a couple of hours ago with 50sumtin's wife who informed me that Bud passed away yesterday at home from an apparent heart attack.

He was rushed to the nearby hospital, but efforts to revive him failed. His wife was at his side, and his daughter (perhaps thankfully) was over at a friends house at the time.

I will miss Bud and his exhuberant enthusiasm. He was a stoic and dear trail partner to many of us, and if you have a story about Bud, I'd like to hear it. I'll remember the frequent emails at 5 a.m. (apparently he had to get up pretty early for work as well) that were always signed, "Your Bud".

As I hear about Service arrangements, I will pass it along, or likewise, if someone hears something more, feel free to post it.

My families thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, daughter and extended family.

Mike
aka Touchstone
Touchstone

Geocaching.com User Name: Touchstone

Postby vaudesir » Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:58 pm

That's terrible terrible news. I can't express how sad I feel. I have many memories of Bud but right now, all my thoughts go to his daughter and his wife.
This message transmitted on 100% recycled electrons.
vaudesir

Geocaching.com User Name: vaudesir

Postby Dowbiggin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:03 pm

I, too, have a lot to share, but I can't find the words right now.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by
and that has made all the difference."
-- Robert Frost
Geocaching with Kids in the Bay Area
Dowbiggin

Geocaching.com User Name: Dowbiggin

Postby workerofwood » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:19 pm

wow, that's a shocker. Bud had so much energy and enthusiasm, and also seemed to be in great shape.
My heart goes out to his family, and I'm going to go hug my kids as a reminder for me of how quickly it can all change.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt
workerofwood
Site Admin

Geocaching.com User Name: workerofwood

Postby cloversmom » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:27 pm

OMG, what a shock. I am happy that I knew him. It is clearly too soon for him to go, but seems that he lived his life to the fullest, with passion and joy, while he was here.
cloversmom

Geocaching.com User Name: cloversmom

Postby fizzymagic » Sun Sep 14, 2008 3:27 pm

What a shock! We have lost a real light to the Bay Area caching community. :(
My other cache is a 5/5
fizzymagic

Geocaching.com User Name: fizzymagic

Postby airsax » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:01 pm

Wow such sad news. My heart goes out to his family. What a big loss to the caching community and the community all together.

My first interaction with Bud was the Skyline to the Sea hike last year. I just thought how much energy he had because he left the group to go check on his wife and daughter, only to come back and catch up with the group. On all group hikes or events he planned, he always made it around to talk to everyone he could. Bud you will be missed!!

Last edited by airsax on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
airsax

Geocaching.com User Name: airsax

Postby workerofwood » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:11 pm

He recently stopped by REI, just to say hi, but what he was really after was to show off that new bike of his. He was proud of that, like a 16 yr old with their first car, and very much enjoyed his rides out there.

He was a prolific hider, and I always enjoyed hunting down his caches, which I often noted after finding had "advisory coordinates" :lol:
He was always ready with a hint by phone, and I made use of that pretty regularly, he was just fun to talk to.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt
workerofwood
Site Admin

Geocaching.com User Name: workerofwood

Postby mjp303 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:26 pm

This news is extremely sad. My heart goes out to his family.

Here's a picture of our group on the way back from the BAQC final. Look at that grin on Bud's face! He loved the outdoors and hiking with friends. That's how I will remember him.

(R to L: Rosmo, atc, clover's mom, 50sumtin, mjp303)
Life is not the number of breaths you take. It is the number moments that take your breath away.
mjp303

Geocaching.com User Name: mjp303

Postby Dowbiggin » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:07 pm

I met Bud for the first time at my first geocaching event, Marky's 50th birthday not quite two years ago. It won't surprise you to learn that in my first interaction with Bud, he gave me something: a cache container. I used it for my first puzzle cache, which has since disappeared and been archived. Bud was like that: giving.

He gave his time, energy, and love to Santa Cruz County and its open spaces. He hid lots of caches, did (and organized) lots of CITO, and kept his eye on the caches of others. He really took care of his little corner of the world, and he encouraged others to do so as well.

I have found MANY 50sumtin caches, but still only a fraction of his prolific hides. Recently a friend and I were doing Bud's Tales of Odysseus series. We ran out of time (after my infamous "500 Dance") to find the last few, so I e-mailed Bud with the information I had found thus far and a question, as I had gotten confused. He gave me the clues from all the remaining caches, just in case I had trouble with the last few when I went back, which I still have not done yet.

I feel like that stretch of the Santa Cruz Coastline should be renamed the Bud Gawlik Memorial Coast. Santa Cruz County has lost one of its natural treasures in Bud. We have very large shoes to fill if we ever think we can make up for what Bud did in that area for geocaching and conservation in general.
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by
and that has made all the difference."
-- Robert Frost
Geocaching with Kids in the Bay Area
Dowbiggin

Geocaching.com User Name: Dowbiggin

Postby triplep220 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:16 pm

I'm deeply taken by this news, because Bud has had a big impact on my life. When I started caching over 2 and a half years ago, I stumbled across postings of group hikes and activities that Bud had organized, such as the Pinnacles DM and the Davenport Beach CITO. Those were some of my first group activities and I had so much fun that it led me to try more.

I had fun talking with Bud right away, and we had a lot in common. We are both Michigan natives, and several years apart we had both packed up our Honda Accords and driven across the country to live and work in the Bay area. It's funny how we both chose Subaru's as our current cars. I could tell right away that he was one of those special people who have that mixture of being very kind, adventurous, cool, and peaceful. He was always smiling and laughing and putting people at ease. Over the past few years, I've had fun emailing with him, sharing recommendations for good restaurants and places to hike.

I've always been excited when I saw that Bud was going to participate in a group outing, and it was great because he was there for the great majority of them. He organized and led the Skyline to the Sea trip last year, which is still the biggest group hike I've ever been on. We had fun going after his 'Baker's Dozen' caches hiking through the redwood forest. He also was on the Toro DM and several other hikes throughout the year.

And Bud went on calipidder's recent 'Island Lake' Backpacking trip, showing up one day early and thus securing a perfect campsite for us. A classic example of Bud, and something I'll never forget is how Bud handed me a cup of his Earl Grey tea right after I stepped out of my tent in the morning on that trip. It's that type of thoughtfulness and his spirit of kindness that defined Bud for me, and it's what I hope to be able to mimic in my life.

Due to family commitments, Bud didn't go on the Loch Lomond trip yesterday - but he met all of us for breakfast. He spoke to me about his daughter's upcoming dance classes and performances, and I could tell how proud he was of her and how happy his family has made him. His wife and daughter were the most important people in the world to him. We also talked about plans for future outings, and he wanted to get plans rolling for a hike along Bean Creek in Scott's Valley. He also said he wanted to do another backpacking trip in the Spring. Bud had a white folder with him labeled "Intro to Geocaching", which some slides and some printouts of sample traditional and mystery caches. He gave me a printout to use for solving "50SUMTIN's Nonogram Puzzle".

I love Bud, and I'm going to miss him a lot. He's one of my favorite people that I've ever met - and I'm going to carry thoughts of him with me.

"My brother wasn?t optimistic it could be done, but I didn?t take ?wasn?t optimistic it could be done? for an answer." -Gob Bluth
triplep220

Geocaching.com User Name: triplep220

Postby Rocket Girl » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:51 pm

WOW What a shock! My thoughts and prayers go to his wife and daughter. We will all miss him very much.
Rocket Girl
Rocket Girl

Geocaching.com User Name: Rocket Girl

Postby mini cacher » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:08 pm

I met Bud on the Mission Peak DM last summer. I can't say that I really knew him, though. From reading a few things that people have written about him, I feel I am at a loss for that. My heart goes out to his family and all those touched by his passing.
Conformity: When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
mini cacher

Geocaching.com User Name: mini cacher

Postby Gitonyerhorse » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:21 pm

Like others have said, I'm totally shocked. This is such a sad loss, and my deepest sympathies to his family.
Most of my interaction with Bud was through email, as he helped me with some of his trickier caches, and I was even able to help him with some of my trickier ones. But I was also fortunate to have spent time at events with him and will always remember his ever constant mustachioed smile and the happiness that exuded from him.
Rest in Peace, Bud. You live forever in all our hearts.

Some day, when I've left this life myself, I know that I'll find a new "Been Here" cache in Heaven.
Last edited by Gitonyerhorse on Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not stupid, just blond.

I mean "blind."
Gitonyerhorse

Geocaching.com User Name: Gitonyerhorse

Postby WalruZ » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:21 pm

BuckyD is next to me and in shock as am I. Too soon and too sudden.
Neanderthal, and proud of it.
WalruZ

Geocaching.com User Name: WalruZ

Next

Return to General Geocaching