Site Status

Read me first before posting anywhere!

Re: Site Status

Postby niraD » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:08 pm

The time zone and daylight savings settings are part of the User Control Panel, under the Board Preferences tab.
niraD | Darin McGrew
Like puzzle caches? Try gimmick car rallyes!
niraD

Geocaching.com User Name: niraD

Postby sammydee » Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:14 pm

MotorBug wrote:1. Will the calendar eventually return to the board index page?

I hope so, but it's going to take a little work.

MotorBug wrote:2. Can I reset the time to PDT or is that an administrator function?

DST was disabled for the Site as a whole; I enabled it. As niraD notes, you can set your own settings in the User Control Panel. But it should be closer to 'right' by default now. If that's not correct let me know!

...Sam
Preserve our local history!
Umunhum Conservancy
sammydee
Site Admin

Geocaching.com User Name: sammydee

Postby dprovan » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:44 am

If I go to thegba.net, all I get is a screen saying "This Account Has Been Suspended" If I come straight here to thegba.sammydee.net, everything's fine. Is it just me?
dprovan

Geocaching.com User Name: dprovan

Postby jsingewald » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:47 am

Dproven,
I am seeing the same behavior as you. A direct access to thegba.net routes me to the Account is Suspended page, but access via thegba.sammydee.net brings me to the page. I would think this is a DNS issue somewhere in the system.
jsingewald

Geocaching.com User Name: jsingewald

Postby sammydee » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:14 am

Working on it, thanks for the report.
Umunhum Conservancy
sammydee
Site Admin

Postby sammydee » Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:41 pm

We have nearly completed the migration of the site to its new server. Or lay connection to the old site was severed today.

Unfortunately this switch may take a few hours to be visible, and the site may appear down or unusual for up to a day.

... Sam
Umunhum Conservancy
sammydee
Site Admin

Postby sammydee » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:32 pm

I believe that everything is switched over and the site is working normally. If you see anything wrong please post here or email admin@thegba.net. Thanks!
Umunhum Conservancy
sammydee
Site Admin

Postby jsingewald » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:37 am

SammyDee,
It appears to be working correctly now. I now am able to access thegba.net rather than being forced to go through thegba.sammdee.net as was the case last week.

Thanks,

Jsingewald
jsingewald

Geocaching.com User Name: jsingewald

Postby kanchan » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:03 pm

The "Classifieds" and "Forums" in the menu are both linked to thegba.sammydee.net (Both names seem to be pointing to the same server, though). The "Gallery" link is still 404.
kanchan

Geocaching.com User Name: kanchan

Postby sammydee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:52 pm

Yes, at some point I'll change the Forum software to think it's on thegba.net instead of thegba.sammydee.net (both names refer to the same system now, as you note). But I'm going on vacation tomorrow, so I'm not going to do it now. :)

The Gallery was implemented using a phpBB plugin from 2005 that hasn't been updated by its author since about 2007. So yes, the Gallery is still down. We have all the files, just no software to do anything with them. At some point we'll find a modern replacement ... though just putting them into Flickr or some other free photo site seems best to me personally. :)

Similarly, the Calendar used a plugin which no longer exists. For now it's a Google Calendar; if you have anything to add to the Calendar let me know and I'll add it. Over time I hope to be able to open that up so other GBA members with Google accounts can modify it as well.

I also need to get things documented and configured so that the site can be managed if I go AWOL.

So yeah, there are still some things to do. Sorry for the trouble.

...Sam
Umunhum Conservancy
sammydee
Site Admin

Postby sammydee » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:53 pm

Oh, I configured ATOM feeds (similar to RSS) tonight; you might try pointing your News reader at feed.php to follow postings as they occur.

If you don't know what RSS is, never mind. :)

...Sam
Umunhum Conservancy
sammydee
Site Admin

Postby dprovan » Sat May 03, 2014 8:16 am

I shouldn't have been surprised, but I just noticed that old links to the old board no longer work. In most web forums, that wouldn't be a big deal, but thegba has a lot of external links from cache descriptions. In particular, all the Venona inspired caches that point to the appropriate Venona discussion now take you to the forum index. (Guess how I discovered this?) Worse, even if you track down the correct discussion, there are often links within the discussions to summary pages or details pages, not to mention links between posts within the same thread, and those don't work, either.

I'm not expecting this to be fixed. I doubt it can be fixed. I'm mainly pointing it out in case it didn't occur to anyone else.
dprovan

Geocaching.com User Name: dprovan

Postby niraD » Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:54 pm

dprovan wrote:I shouldn't have been surprised, but I just noticed that old links to the old board no longer work. In most web forums, that wouldn't be a big deal, but thegba has a lot of external links from cache descriptions. In particular, all the Venona inspired caches that point to the appropriate Venona discussion now take you to the forum index. (Guess how I discovered this?) Worse, even if you track down the correct discussion, there are often links within the discussions to summary pages or details pages, not to mention links between posts within the same thread, and those don't work, either.
Is there any chance that the gallery and forums will be restored in a way that the old URLs still work?

Some of the 2013 ACTIVITIES still lack summaries, and I was thinking of writing the summaries myself (rather than waiting longer for someone else to step up and earn an Order of Venona. But if the forums and gallery are going to be be switched back to the old URLs, then I want to wait before writing up these summaries. And if the forums and gallery are NOT going to be switched back, then I want to fix the TOC pages to use the new URLs in the links.
niraD | Darin McGrew
Like puzzle caches? Try gimmick car rallyes!
niraD

Geocaching.com User Name: niraD

Postby sammydee » Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:15 am

I could theoretically - I think - fix the forum so that it uses the same URLs as the old software. (But I honestly haven't put much energy into it, and to be honest it's not high on my list of things-to-do.) If I should prioritize that project higher let me know and I'll try to get to it sometime in August.

The Gallery, on the other hand. I don't know what to do with it at all. It used a plugin to PHPBB that was abandoned 5+ years ago by its author, and which doesn't seem to have any modern equivalent. We still have all the files, and I suppose that we have whatever database entries it created. But there's essentially zero chance of getting the old software to work.

We have a Google account for the GBA - thegba.net@gmail.com. The old "calendar" on the site has been replaced by a link to that account's Google Calendar. It's tempting to take all the old photos and dump them into our Google Plus account and make 'em public. Or load 'em into a Flickr account, or something like that. But I don't know how to get any of the old captions, galleries, and such restored...much less give the original owners control of them again.

If someone technical wants to take on the project of figuring out something to do with the old Gallery photos and such contact me, and I'll be happy to get you a copy of the files and any metadata we can track down together. It's a pile of .jpg files and (I think) some stuff in a MySql database.

(But I'll be on vacation starting tomorrow basically until the end of the month.)

...Sam
Umunhum Conservancy
sammydee
Site Admin

Postby not2b » Fri Jul 18, 2014 4:16 pm

Sam, at least three puzzle caches, possibly more, were archived because they were Venona-related and were no longer doable once all the links broke. The summaries of Venona activities heavily cross-linked with forum discussions and it's all junk at the moment. There are two parts to this, the links to the forums and the links to the pictures in the gallery. If there were a straightforward way to get the software to use the same URLs, then at least it would be possible to find the old Venona discussions. Likewise, if it would be possible to restore the old gallery in a read-only state, then at least the old images could be found. Perhaps this is an impossible problem, but your message suggested that at least the URLs to old discussions could be made to work again, even if the links to images in the galleries are broken. People who posted the original messages could fix some of the remaining damage by editing links.

I know that fixing all this is complex, and perhaps I could assist in some way.
not2b

Geocaching.com User Name: not2b

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements