Scheduled Downtime Notice - 4/7/2008, 8PM

Read me first before posting anywhere!

Scheduled Downtime Notice - 4/7/2008, 8PM

Postby digitalfish » Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Scheduled Downtime Notice

Monday, April 7, 2008
8 PM PST

The GBA will be temporarily unavailable while the site is being relocated.

Please note that the site move will involve a Domain Name Service (DNS) change. The site will not be available until the DNS change propagates. Because of the unpredictability of DNS propagation, the downtime estimate is between 12 to 24 hours.
digitalfish
Site Admin

Geocaching.com User Name: digitalfish

Postby digitalfish » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:09 am

The site is now up and running again, but on a different host this time.

For those of you who are wondering, it took 3+ hours :shock: to shove all of the current data over to the new server/site. The actual effort to load, rebuild, update, and test the entire site took Lynn more than a few days. :shock: All of the admins have spent time testing the new site, as well. I just did some testing and took care of the DNS issues. I'll be migrating the mail services next, so if it appears to be acting strangely, you'll know why.

-T
Sometimes a rock is just a rock.
digitalfish
Site Admin

Geocaching.com User Name: digitalfish

Postby Marky » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:05 am

Awesome job you two! You are definitely the unsung heroes of Bay Area geocaching. Our active community owes much to you for putting up this site and keeping it out. I hope that those of us that will be taking care of the new site can do as well, as you have big shoes to fill.

--Marky
...a Plant Strong Geocacher...
Marky
Site Admin

Geocaching.com User Name: Marky

Postby workerofwood » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:22 am

Back in town (almost, but LA is still considered civilization I think), and this was the first place I wanted to visit back in the USA! Don't want to ever take for granted what a great resource we have here, thanks to so much hard work from both Digitalfish.
Thanks Lynn and Terry for the smooth migration!

To everyone else, the site host has been paid in full for the next three years by the heavy users out there (I'll post a list of your generous companions when I get home). Thanks to everyone who helped test too!
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt
workerofwood
Site Admin

Geocaching.com User Name: workerofwood

Return to Announcements